Property and Business Interruption

How to make a claim?

Property and Business Interruption

To lodge a property and business interruption claim, complete and return a Property Claim Form to RiskCover with the following (if applicable):

  • a quote for repairs/replacement;
  • a receipt or invoice; and/or
  • an asset or resource listing, if applicable.

If you are a user of the online facility please login to the agency login as soon as practicable after the incident.  

Employee property in transit

An agency can lodge a property in transit claim by completing and returning a Property in Transit Claim Form to RiskCover within 30 days of the delivery/receipt of property together with supporting information. Where loss or damage relates to property placed in storage, written notice must be provided to RiskCover within 30 days of the date the property is removed from storage.  Failure to lodge a completed claim form within 30 days may result in the claim being disputed.

If you require access to the online facility or have other queries please contact our Claims Team at

Page Last Updated 31 Jan 2017