Last chance for 2019 WA Disability Support Awards nominations
24 January 2019
Nominations close in less than a fortnight for the 2019 WA Disability Support Awards that recognise excellence in improving the quality of life and inclusion for people with disability.
The Insurance Commission sponsors the ‘Excellence in Innovation’ category at the Awards, which rewards a person, team or organisation that has developed new or different approaches that improve outcomes for people with disability.
This could mean:
- Changes to practice and how services are delivered that lead to better life outcomes and reduce reliance on formal supports and/or paid services;
- New ways of involving people with disability, families and carers in decision-making about services, or improved communication that increases people’s choice and control in their daily life;
- An innovative use of technology that makes a significant difference in post-catastrophic injury rehabilitation, care and independence.
Kane Blackman, Commission Secretary at the Insurance Commission, says: “The Insurance Commission sponsors the Excellence in Innovation category at the WA Disability Support Awards to recognise those who are contributing to the sector and making a lasting impact on the lives of Western Australians.
“Innovation is key to ensuring that the disability sector continues to deliver positive outcomes to people with disability, increasing independence and reducing care costs. This is particularly important to the Insurance Commission given our critical role of providing care and compensation to claimants injured in motor vehicle crashes and at work.
“We encourage nominations from people with disability, families, carers, and staff in disability sector organisations.”
Nominations for this year’s WA Disability Support Awards close at 5pm on Tuesday, 5 February 2019. The nomination form and guidelines can be downloaded from the DSWA website.
NDS can provide advice to assist you to develop your nomination. Phone 08 9242 5544 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last year, the winner of the inaugural Excellence in Innovation Award was Perth-based Holly Bridges for her A.R.T. (Autism Reframe Technique) therapy that helps people with autism improve their physical and social presentations.
Ms Bridges was recognised for the positive results she achieved through her innovative use of the polyvagal technique, which looks at how the ‘flight or fight’ response exacerbates anxiety in people with autism.
2019 WA Disability Support Awards
National Disability Services (NDS), in partnership with the Department of Communities, established the WA Disability Support Awards.
The Awards recognise and reward people who go beyond ordinary standards of service and provide the highest standard of individualised support to people with disability. The Awards also provide an opportunity to recognise excellence in leadership and innovation to continuously improve disability supports and create better outcomes.
Finalists and winners will be announced at a gala dinner at Crown Perth on Saturday, 11 May 2019. Winners of each category received a cash prize of $2,000 and a trophy.
The Award categories for 2019 are:
- Excellence in Home and Family Support;
- Excellence in Supporting Social Inclusion;
- Excellence in Improving Employment Opportunities;
- Excellence in Regional Support;
- Excellence in Advocacy and Rights Promotion;
- Excellence in Innovation;
- Excellence in Leadership.
Awards website: http://www.dswa.org.au/