Frequently Asked Questions

Police (Medical and Other Benefits for Former Officers)
Two police officers walking down a foot path
What is the purpose of the scheme?

The Former Officers' Medical Benefits Scheme provides support to former police officers and former aboriginal police liaison officers who have been injured at work, regardless of how their service with WA Police Force ceased. Payments are made for reasonable medical and other expenses related to an injury that occurred while working for the WA Police Force.

The Scheme is governed by legislation - Police (Medical and Other Benefits for Former Officers) Act 2008 - that prescribes entitlements which are tied to the Workers’ Compensation and Injury Management Act 1981, which his governed by WorkCover WA. These rates may be different to the level of medical expenses provided by the WA Police Force during employment.

The Insurance Commission manages claims on behalf of the Commissioner of Police in line with the Act.

Can I claim if my work related injury is not recorded by the WA Police Force?

Yes. You must be able to provide enough supporting information to enable the WA Police Force to verify your claim. These details include dates, witnesses, description of the incident etc.

What if I was previously compensated?

You will not be eligible under this Scheme if you have been compensated for your injury elsewhere, such as motor vehicle third party insurance, act of grace payment, common law and/or criminal injury compensation.

What is covered?

Reasonable medical and other expenses (e.g. travel) directly linked to a work related injury can be claimed in accordance with WorkCover WA rates, fees and payments for:

Medical Fees:

  • Anaesthetists
  • Consultant Psychiatrists
  • Dermatologists
  • Diagnostic Imaging
  • General Practitioner
  • Medical Procedures
  • Physicians
  • Surgeons
  • Public hospital fees

Allied Health Provider Fees:

  • Acupuncture
  • Chiropractors
  • Clinical Psychologists
  • Counselling Psychologists
  • Exercise Based Physiologists/Programs
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Osteopaths
  • Physiotherapy
  • Speech Pathologists

Consideration will be given for other types of treatment; usually this requires a referral from an appropriate medical practitioner or specialist confirming the expected benefits of the treatment.  

NOTE: Not all providers will charge an individual the prescribed rate.  It is therefore recommended that the provider invoices us directly to ensure you are not out of pocket.

Will I have to have my treatment plan reviewed?

Yes.  For ongoing treatment plans, regular case reviews are required to ensure your treatment program will assist your recovery. Under Section 64 of the Workers’ Compensation and Injury Management Act 1981, you may be required to attend a medical case review for an independent assessment of your treatment program.

We will support you to choose a qualified specialist to conduct your case review. If you are unable to suggest a specialist, a WorkCover WA Approved Specialist can be appointed.

Is there a limit to what I can claim?

Yes. The amount payable is calculated in accordance with the Workers’ Compensation and Injury Management Act 1981; Schedule 1, Clause 17.  The amount payable over the life of a claim is prescribed by WorkCover WA and is reviewed annually at the beginning of each financial year.

Once the limit is reached on a claim no further indexing occurs.

What if I exceed the limit?

You will be advised in writing when your claimed expenses reach 60% of the active prescribed limit.  If required, you can apply for consideration to be given to release a sum up to $50,000 above the prescribed limit. Applications will take into account your social and financial circumstances, and additional sums can only be approved to support a defined treatment program that will assist recovery from your work injury.

In exceptional circumstances, you may apply to the WorkCover WA Conciliation and Arbitration Service for a further additional sum to support operative or post-operative treatment. This application must be lodged within five years of lodging the original claim.

How do I make a claim?
  1. Complete Part 1 of the Police (Medical and Other Expenses for Former Officers) Claim Form.
  2. Attach all relevant medical information including a medical certificate.
  3. Send or deliver to WA Police Force Health and Safety Division:
    1. By email or
    2. By post: Level 13 Westralia Square, 141 St Georges Terrace, PERTH WA 6000
What happens when the WA Police Force receives my claim?

Part 2 of the Form will be completed by the WA Police Force and submitted to us, together with any other relevant medical information for assessment of the claim.  

We will advise you in writing if your claim is accepted.

You may be required to submit further information including a current medical specialist report to ensure your treatment program complies with Scheme entitlements. If you do not have a treating specialist, an appointment with a WorkCover WA Approved Medical Specialist can be arranged for you.

When can I seek treatment?

If treatment of your injury or recurrence of injury is urgent, seek treatment immediately. Otherwise, it is recommended you first seek approval for your claim. Once you receive an approval letter please provide a copy to your medical practitioner who will invoice us directly.

What if I incur expenses for which I need reimbursement?

If you incur travel costs to attend a medical appointment, reimbursement can be claimed via the Reimbursement of Travel Expenses Form and attaching relevant receipts. Other receipts (and supporting documentation such as a copy of prescription for example) can be sent directly to the claims officer.

Is there an appeal process if my claim is not accepted?

Yes.  If you need assistance to resolve a dispute to a claim, you can apply to the WorkCover WA Conciliation and Arbitration Service or contact them for advice and assistance on 1300 794 744.

What if I have a query about a new claim?

Contact the WA Police Force Health and Safety Division on 08 6229 5615 or by email.

What if I have a query about an existing claim or payment?

You can contact your assigned claims officer directly

Page Last Updated 23 Jul 2019