Dependency claims

Make a Claim
Characters of mother and two children

If you have lost a family member in a motor vehicle crash, the Insurance Commission may be able to help.

You may be able to claim compensation if you are a relative of the person fatally injured, and you were financially dependent on that person; see the Fatal Accidents Act 1959.

You may be able to claim:

  • funeral and headstone expenses up to $10,000;
  • loss of financial benefit provided by the deceased; and
  • loss of services provided by the deceased.

There is a three year time limit to lodge a dependency claim.

Page Last Updated 08 Nov 2016